Monday, May 25, 2009

A Warrior at rest


I've put this off for a while because I wanted to avoid my feelings at my father's passing. My mother's passing was only a short 3 and 1/2 months ago. Not really wanting to deal with the emotion of the ordeal I have filled my time with preparing for his celebration into the rest.

My dad was a three war veteran. Today in our country we will honor those men. He fought in WWII; the Korean War; Vietnam and many world wide skirmishes to defend our country and the freedoms we have here in the United States. He taught me how blest we are to live in a country where people will still defend her honor.

But during that time he enlisted in a more intense war. He obeyed the gospel along with my mother and fought against Satan. The greatest foe any of us would or will ever encounter. He was a Christian for around 50 years of his 80+ years. They together taught many the gospel. In my childhood I can remember driving all over the Napa Valley country side as he preached in small congregations and going to gospel meetings. We moved after his retirement from the Navy to Oregon where he and Mom chose to work with the congregation in Beaverton. He continued to work with the church and neighboring congregations to further the gospel here. He was an elder there for many years. In his 50's they moved to Vancouver to work with the Hockinson congregation where he served as an elder until his mind would no longer allow him. Knowing that he was succumbing to a horrible disease he stepped down for fear that he would compromise God, his word and his people. A very difficult day for all here and will not be forgotten.

As young adults we often see the faults in our parents but rarely are we allowed to see them use their faults to make for good. Dad had a talent to be able to let us learn from his mistakes and to use them to teach us about God. I was grateful for the time that he took in mentoring my wonderful husband. And teaching him many things he would need later in his walk as he took on the mantel to serve the church. Always advising, comforting and standing with a steadfastness that only a warrior can. He would always say,"This too shall pass."

He became not only an overseer in the kingdom he became a confidante and friend, a brother and a father. He was an advisor and teacher to many.

I can still see the the sea of legs I would wade through to get to him when he returned from sea; the camping trips in a canvas tents; camp stew, working in the garden and his love for the gardens. He loved animals and people and sometimes tried to make them equal. I can remember his fiery sermons and his quiet voice when disappointed in me. But I also see his face and eyes when I had succeeded in trials and his constant support and encouragement to go farther than I thought possible. I remember him overcome with joy when Gregg decided to obey the gospel and again when he was appointed an elder in the church. He was a steadfast force in my life and I will miss him.

I was privileged to be allowed to care for both of my parents in their later years in our home. Yes, there were difficulties and they will fade as the joy replaces them. We had so many good times as children, young adults and now as they have aged and finally met their rewards. I will miss them here on earth but I am grateful their fight is over. They fought hard and have left me a legacy only through the grace of God will I ever be able to follow. And grace is something God has given me plenty of.

He has gone to a place of waiting. A place where mom , and many of his friends are. He awaits the final judgement. He no longer knows pain nor will cry tears of sadness. He no longer will wander the halls looking for mom. He no longer has to fight with Satan. He is united with Mom and the rest of the saints and can spend there limitless hours praising God.


To You Dad:
You have fought the good fight,
You have finished the race,
You have kept the faith.
Now there is in store for you the crown of righteousness,
Which the Lord the righteous judge will award to you on that day.

2 Timothy 4:7,8

I love you Daddy.

No comments: